The Ultimate Twitter Guide - Some Twitter Dos and Don'ts
(Page 3 of 4 )
Some Twitter Dos
- Do keep it tight. Anything that you go over the 140 allotted characters will be lost.
- Do stay on focus. If you post on too many different topics, this will confuse your readers.
- Do post only relevant thoughts.
- Do use good grammar.
- Do learn to spell properly if you can't at the current moment.
- Do link when a link is relevant.
- Do be aware that links take up space in your post.
- Do keep your language acceptable for a general audience.
- Do integrate your site's RSS feed into Twitter so that your blog postings are automatically added to your feed.
- Do consider your readers' point of view. What you post should always be relevant.
Some Twitter Don'ts
- Do not try to split one idea between two posts. They will be hard for readers to find together.
- Do not only post with links.
- Do not post only self promotional materials.
- Do not let your RSS feed do all of the work; it screams lazy.
- Do not wait more than a few days between posts.
- Do not rapid fire posts or you will get bunched in the feed.
- Do not mass post. It looks like Twitter spam.
- Do not swear.
- Do not use hate speech.
- Do not ignore libel law; you are still publishing.
- Do not ask users for personal data.
- Do not retweet or @ post someone just to flame them.
- Do not repeat your tweets over and over again. A point should only be made once.
- Do not ignore your TOS (terms of service) or you risk being banned.
- Do not continually @ post other users without contributing your own posts.
- Do not forget that this is a dialog and not a monologue.
Now that you have taken a look at some of your posting dos and don'ts, you can go ahead and post. It is your first day; you can go ahead and make a few posts. They will help you to attract readers. It will also help any potential followers to get an idea of what you are about.
Make these posts sparkle and you will be rewarded with followers who are interested in your site. Once you have finished with those posts, it is time to start following some people.
More Website Marketing Articles
More By Katie Gatto