How to report spam to Google & Co.
A real nuisance for search engines are webmasters that try to deceive them to obtain high rankings (called "spamming").
The following techniques are usually considered spam by the search engines:
- cloaking (the server returns different pages for search engine crawler programs and for web browsers)
- cybersquatting (using domains that resemble common domain names to get traffic from users that make a typo, for example, www.gogle.com)
- doorway pages or multiple domains with identical or nearly identical content
- invisible text (text in the same color as the background color)
- offensive content (e.g. hate views or offering illegal services)
- overuse of keywords
- overuse of tiny text
- stuffing pages with irrelevant words
- submitting to inappropriate categories (on directories)
- using deceptive or misleading links
- using irrelevant keywords in the title and in the Meta tags
What can you do if you discover that other web sites get better search engine rankings than you because they use one of the techniques above?
The search engines encourage reporting spam to them. We've compiled a handy list of addresses where you can report search engine spam:
Always be fair to search engines and don't try to cheat them. You'll get the best long-term results for your web site by building good content and a thoughtful reciprocal linking strategy.
"Copyright by Axandra.com. Internet marketing and search engine ranking software."
Use Stickysauce Search Engine Tools
| DISCLAIMER: The content provided in this article is not warranted or guaranteed by Developer Shed, Inc. The content provided is intended for entertainment and/or educational purposes in order to introduce to the reader key ideas, concepts, and/or product reviews. As such it is incumbent upon the reader to employ real-world tactics for security and implementation of best practices. We are not liable for any negative consequences that may result from implementing any information covered in our articles or tutorials. If this is a hardware review, it is not recommended to open and/or modify your hardware. |
More Search Engine Tricks Articles
More By Developer Shed