6 more free steps to making money online
by Darren Power
If you read my previous article you will know that the goal of these articles is to teach you ways to get started making money online without having to spend any money.
This is the second in the series and this time we deal with having your own blog. There are endless ways of making money once you have traffic, and your blog will get you traffic. We are going to talk about earning income from Adsense ads.
There are multiple benefits to having a blog including the low cost or no cost, the resources that will help you get traffic and the fact that you can provide your blog as an RSS feed. An RSS feed will allow readers to automatically receive your updates into their RSS reader.
Let's get started with our 6 steps.
1. Set Up your blog. You will need to decide what you are going to blog about. You should decide on a theme and name your blog appropriately.
There are a number of free ways to set up a blog & to have it hosted for free. We will go with Blogger.com for our first blog.
Blogger will allow you to set up a blog for free they will host it for free and they will ping search engines every time you update, meaning you will get spidered & found.
Visit blogger.com & click the button on the front page labelled 'create your blog now' then follow the step by step instructions that Blogger provide.
Some key settings you will want to get right are:
a) 'Host your blog at Blogger' Yes please (Until you graduate to having your own hosting account)
b) 'Add your blog to our listings' Yes Please
c) 'Ping Weblogs.com' Again yes please
d) 'Publish Site Feed' Yes please
2. Write some content. Before we move any further there has to be some information on the site & that means that you have to make some entries. You can write some of these entries yourself & some can be sites of interest that you can post using the
You can download a free toolbar from Google. The toolbar includes a Blogger button. When you visit a site that has something of interest to your readers you can highlight the appropriate text & click the Blogger button. The content will then be added to your blog along with a link back to the site.
3. Once you have some content eg a weeks worth of blogging once or twice a day you can apply for an adsense account. When you sign in to Blogger you will see an invitation to join Adsense. Use this link and apply for an account.
You can find out all about Adsense on the Adsense page but basically you get Google ads on your site & get paid if your visitor clicks them. You get paid an undisclosed percentage of what Google get paid so you'll earn more if your site is relevant to a subject that is expensive to advertise for.
Google will decide what adverts show on your site based on the content it finds within.
You need to be aware that Google will decline your application if your site is not considered to have content. Nobody outside of Google knows the precise rules on this.
I would suggest that the ads need to be seen when the site loads but should not be too obvious or dominate your site.
4. Write some more content. Try and keep your content coming at regular intervals as a number of directories will check on your site at regular intervals & the smarter ones will visit on a schedule based on your update schedule. They will probably
determine this in the hours after you first submit to them. Which is what we will do next.
5. Submit your site to Blog & RSS directories. Because you are hosting at Blogger Weblogs.com will already be notified when you update your blog. (That means that every time you make a new entry they are automatically notified) You will need to
manually submit to the various other directories some of which will require a link on your site to theirs. You can add these links to your templete below your Blogger logo. For a list of directories to get you started visit www.themoneyseed.com/rss
6. Keep writing interesting content. Ideally you want people to come back again and again as with customers its harder to get a new visitor than to keep existing visitors. So make it interesting, in fact make it so interesting that they can't help but tell all their friends about it also.
As with most free ways to make money this will take time, but if you can build a following you will make money.
Darren Power is the author of The Money Seed, your step by step guide to making money online. For supplimentary information & free resources related to this article visit www.themoneyseed.com/rss
| DISCLAIMER: The content provided in this article is not warranted or guaranteed by Developer Shed, Inc. The content provided is intended for entertainment and/or educational purposes in order to introduce to the reader key ideas, concepts, and/or product reviews. As such it is incumbent upon the reader to employ real-world tactics for security and implementation of best practices. We are not liable for any negative consequences that may result from implementing any information covered in our articles or tutorials. If this is a hardware review, it is not recommended to open and/or modify your hardware. |
More Online Business Help Articles
More By Developer Shed